Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The magic and the pain of Monday!

Sleepy and Bleary eyed, i seek for the alarm-ringing-mobile under my pillow, under the covers. Ultimately i find it under my wife's pillow. I quickly put i off careful so not to disturb her sleep. Pulling myself out of the bed and trudging towards the bathroom, the mind is numb, still somnambulent. 5 days to the weekend. Wake up man, its a MONDAY.


My favourite bad day of the week! A day i would wipe out of the Calendars of the world if i could help. But of-course, some other day would take up Monday's place. The Problem essentially is not with Monday but with drudgery and work.Not that it gets better thru the week, but then the next 2 days , Tuesday and Wednesday, you are effectively settled into the groove. Thursday and Friday pass waiting the for the weekend. Thus the only day which is without hope is Monday when you have a whole week ahead of you.


Many executives and mid aged professionals have this theory of sleep long long long hours on Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately, i am contrarian to this view. As i had explained to a friend of mine in my staying-in-the-mess days, Saturdays and Sundays are so much to do days. These are the days when we work for ourselves. Loosing time for myself to my sleep was hence a bad bargain. Instead i had loose my work days to my sleep and be ok with it. Only if i have to see two back-to-back movies on a Friday or saturday might, do i allow myself the comfort of waking up at 11 the following day.


Coming back to Monday, it takes the first patters of the shower to jolt the mind back to here and now. Monday being Monday, is a formal day. This is the Monday-Formal Syndrome. Subconciously, most people in the office including me choose to put up our best formal wear on Monday. Purely of our own volition. The dress code takes more innovative spins post Wednesday when Jeans and Cargos and Ts step into the office. By the time i am fully geared for the office, i am already stiffling my first yawns. A gaping huge one; a reminder from the body that it has not yet recivered from the weekend excesses! I try to bring my mind upto speed on the dinning table thinking of the list of to do things for Monday. I wish i could add another couple of hours to my sleep account. My wife is a picture of bliss, wrapped under the covers, deep in her sleep and in her dream land. I pick up the three essentials to me: my wallet, my car keys and my cell phone. Being one of those people who drive 1 hour daily to and fro from work, i hardly find time to glance through the newpaper and one of the better ideas is to take it for reading it in the office. Stiffling a couple of yawns by now, i climb down the stairs.

The trudging to the office starts and so does my tryst with the local RJs who keep me entertained or at least less fuming on my way to office. I have a very hate-detest-loathe relation with DTC busses and the call centre Innovas and Qualiss. I would have them removed from the road when i am on it if i had a be-the-god-moment (ala Bruce Almighty). Unfortunately for me, there are no such moments in the offing. So it is a gear,clutch,brake, horn, steer,veer, miss from hitting moments all the way to my office interjected by the once-in-5-minute yawns.

At the 72 second traffic light intersection, i turn the paper over and theres a Porsche Cayenne print ad of 150 cc. It says 450 bhp, 0 to 100 kmph in 3.2 seconds....

Theres sleep in my eyes, and the dreams on that newspaper edition.It is one of those dreams i carry with myself. Its that dream that pushes me to go thru this grind every Monday... Monday after Monday. I hate the Mondays, but its the love of that dream. It is the hope that the pain of many such Mondays would translate into the magic moment of owning the Cayenne.. How many such Mondays ... for that moment of ownership of my dream!

No comments: